The Income Tax Department offers an online facility for tracking your Income Tax Refund and its status. Taxpayers can view status of refund 10 days after their refund has been sent. You will have to type your PAN number and select the Assessment Year.

ClearTax can check the status of your refund. If you want to take any further action, such as requesting a reissue of refund or changing your address, you will need to go to the Income Tax department’s e-Filing website.

What is the mechanism by which the department checks the correctness of my return of income? Would I be given an opportunity to present my views during the course of such verification?
Based on information available with the department a small percentage of returns are picked up for verification. This process is called scrutiny. You will be given full opportunity to put forth views and evidences to support your claims.
What recourse is available to me if I am unhappy with the order passed by my Assessing officer?
The Income tax Act has provided for filing appeals in such cases. The first appellate authority is the Commissioner (Appeals). Subsequently the matter can be taken to the Income Tax Appellate Tribunal, then to the High Court and supreme Court.
Some demand has been raised by my Assessing officer after assessment. Can I pay this demand in installments or seek time till my appeal is settled?
Yes. You may approach your Assessing officer within 30 days of receipt of demand notice for installments or stay or seek time for payment. However you are liable to pay interest for delay in payment of demanded tax.